Demi-Pairs improve their English language skills and our families receive a much needed helping hand around the house. Our economic and professionally run Demi-Pair programmes operate all year round.
Demi - Pairs
An extra pair of hands
Demi-Pairs play an important role
in Irish family life and everyone benefits!
Living English places Demi-Pairs in carefully selected and personally visited families in the Dublin area – as the school year re-starts in September, we always have lots of lovely Irish families looking for demi-pairs! This good value for money exchange programme enables Demi-Pairs to attend English Language Tuition and to assist in the family home for 20 hours per week and 2 nights’ babysitting per month in exchange for full board accommodation in a single room in the family home.
Demi-pairs improve their English language skills and our families receive a much-needed helping hand around the house! Our popular and professionally-run demi-pair programmes operate all year around. Participants will be asked to integrate 100% into the lifestyle of their Irish family.
To become a Demi-Pair you will need:
- To be independent and responsible
- To want to help out in the family home with housework and childcare
- To be able to adjust easily to a different environment and culture
An ideal demi-pair profile
- 18+ years old during the academic year (September to May) with good experience in the family home
- 20+ years old to participate on demi-pair programmes during summer months
- Good spoken level of English (B1 minimum)
- A genuine “love” of children
- Previous experience with children
All Our Demi-Pair Programmes Include:
- Collection from Dublin airport on arrival/transfer with family
- Placement in a carefully selected family
- Unlimited use of travel pass (this only applies if the participant lives in a different area to the school)
- Accommodation in a single room on a full board basis in exchange for Demi-Pair duties (light housekeeping/childcare) for 20 hours per week (plus 2 nights’ babysitting per month)
- Certificate on course completion
Demi-Pair Programme in Dublin, Ireland
Our applicants enjoy Dublin’s thriving cultural centre with its bustling and lively streets. Home to writers and poets such as Shaw, Yeats and Joyce, as well as many musical talents – the Dubliners, the Chieftains and U2 to name a few. Street-side cafes and pubs are alive with animated conversations; perfect to practise English and integrate into the Irish way of life.
Demi-Pair Programme in Bray, Ireland
Bray is a busy urban centre straddling the Dublin and Wicklow border. It has a population of 35,000 and easily accessible to Dublin (40 minutes) by direct trains operating every 15 minutes. Tourists flock to its wonderful seafront location with hotels, bars and restaurants.
Demi-Pair Summer Programme
Morning and Afternoon Classes
Our Summer Demi-Pairs should be in the 20-26 years old age group and have an intermediate spoken level of English as well as previous experience with children.
- Students can choose between 2 main locations:
- Bray (South Dublin on the coast) or Dublin city
- Select the number of hours of English classes you prefer:
- Demi-Pair Regular = 10 Hours of English Language Tuition per week
- Demi-Pair Intensive = 20 Hours of English Language Tuition per week
- We also run a Summer Special in Dublin = 15 Hours per week (20 years+)
Calculate the cost of your Programme
Find the Full Options and Price Lists in the PDFs Below
Demi-Pairs may also book onto our Cambridge exam preparation courses, the most popular being the First Certificate (FCE) and the Advanced (CAE) exam – all exam courses are intensive and participants will be asked to complete an English level test prior to confirmation of a place.
Frequently Asked Questions
We firmly believe if you want to speak a language fluently, you need to live in the country where it is spoken. When you are in Ireland you will be able to interact with your family, new friends and 4 million other people who speak English.
You need to complete the Demi-Pair registration form and pay a booking deposit of €150. You will receive confirmation of your booking and a receipt of payment. You will receive the full details by filling in your details here:
Demi-Pair registration form
Yes. We require the following documents in English:
- Motivation letter to your family (setting out your hopes and expectations of your time in Ireland on the demi-pair programme). The motivation letter should also include information about your own family, your personal likes and dislikes, your previous experience with children, the childrens’ ages when you were looking after them and the things you did with the children, i.e. play, bathe, cook, bring on an excursion etc.
- Letter of recommendation form a non-family member. This can be a character reference from an employer or a lecturer in a university/school.
- Childcare references (2). These should come from families whose children you have looked after.
- Curriculum vitae. This should include your photograph and your personal details which should include your education and work experience.
- A criminal record proof from the police department. You will have to ask your local police department for this document.
- A medical certificate. This can be obtained from your local doctor.
Once we have received all your documents and we have checked your references, we will look for a family that best suits you.
You will receive details about the occupation of the parents, the number of children and their ages, whether there are any family pets (dog and/or cat), an idea of the schedule of your duties, where the family lives and the distance of their home in relation to your school.
Once you have agreed to receive contact from the family we propose to you, we will ask you for your Skype ID and we will organise a skype call between you and the family at a day and a time convenient to you both.
We have been matching demi-pairs to families for more than 15 years, but, should you feel you are not happy with the proposed family for a valid reason, we will endeavour to match you with another more suitable family.
By telling us or the family, that you would like to be their demi-pair. Once the family is also happy to accept you as their demi-pair, we will then confirm your booking to you with all the family details and an invoice for the amount remaining. When you receive our booking confirmation, you will be able to book your flights. Do not book your flights until you have received the booking confirmation from Living English.
You should have a B1 level of English, which is a basic conversational level. If you are unsure of your spoken level, we can arrange a skype call between you and a representative of Living English to evaluate your current English level.
Yes, your Demi-Pair family will collect you at the airport. You must inform Living English and your family of your flight number, your departure airport and the exact date and time of arrival in Ireland.
The recommended day to arrive is either a Saturday or a Sunday, as families will be free to collect you at Dublin airport.
This depends on the family and their needs. Every family is different. Some families will give you a list of items they would like you to do every week. Other families will tell you day by day what they need you to do. You can talk to your family about this before we confirm the booking. The list below is what the family can ask you to do:
Child minding can mean:
Collection of child/children from school and bringing them to their home. Making them a light snack on arrival and ensuring their safety whilst at home etc.
Light housework can mean:
Demi-pair students may be asked to do any of the following: hoover, iron, tidy, sweep, hang out clothes. Possibly some cooking. No cleaning of bathrooms or another heavy cleaning.
I know I will help in the family home for up to 20 hours per week and 2 nights’ babysitting per month, but how is this time divided up?
The 20-hours per week will take place between Monday and Friday and you should be free every weekend, except when the family requires you to babysit on a weekend night.
We deliver a personalised welcome pack to your family home before you arrive in Ireland. This will contain a map of Dublin or Bray, showing you where your school is located. a welcome letter, a travel pass and other more general tourism information. Your family will also show you where you can take the bus, train or tram to your school.
We offer several demi-pair programmes and your school timetable depends on which programme you book. You can attend English classes from 9am-1.30pm. or 9am-11am., Monday to Friday inclusive. We also offer afternoon English classes on our summer demi-pair programme.
Yes, we offer the First Certificate and Cambridge Advanced exam preparation courses three times a year – in January, March and September. If you are thinking about participating on one of our exam preparation courses, please let us know at the time of booking and we will email you a written English test to evaluate your current English level.
It will take at least 2-weeks to settle in. You will need to give yourself time. Your family will do their best to make you feel at home. You can also contact us and we will assist you the best we can.
Yes, of course. You will make lots of friends at school and we can also help you by putting you in touch with other demi-pair students.
Demi-pair families are happy if you make friends and want to go out at night with them, but you must remember to comply with house rules. You will have a front door key, but you should still tell your family where you are going and what time you think you will be coming home at, so they don’t worry about you.
You may have other questions we have not answered here. If you do, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or skype us on livingenglish.ireland
“This experience with Living English was decisive for me. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.”LudmillaFrance - Internship student
“I have contacted Living English in order to find me an internship in an Irish company where I could in the same time improve my knowledge in English and in IT. Back to France, I'm now more confident on the phone and especially during the interview. I personally recommend this organisation.”KhadhirParis, France - Internship student
“The experience of being a Demi-Pair in an English speaking country is something I can draw on my whole life...the improvement of my English skills and live in and with another family is great ... you see another culture and other ways of life at first hand.”HannaGermany / Demi-Pair
“At the first moment I was afraid about every thing: the family, the school, the program... but Living English answered all my questions. My Host family was incredible nice, they've had a nice relation with me all time, and they made me feel at home.”MartaCanary Islands / Demi-Pair